I’ve got 5 Bell Pepper buckets still, 4 have fruit. And one Jalapeño left. See Below!
The hydro-kratky method works people! Do it!
LPT: IN florida, place your buckets in the north facing part so the sun doesn’t heat exhaust them.
Updates: Its starting to get hot outside and the cucumbers are in direct sunlight and looked heat exhausted so I put up a tarp to give them shade. They are much happier now!
Both squash plants got fresh buckets with new water+nutrients and I even trimmed the roots, one of the roots I cut off about 6 inches the other I cut off about 3-inches. A few hours later the 6-inch trim did not look very great. Its not totally dead but its not looking good. we shall see.
My Buddy also brought me ~6 week old Bibb lettuce plants (x3) which I put in new bucket (2) and a gallon jug, since my Bibb lettuce plant is almost at the end of its useful life. We still love going to the backyard and cutting lettuce for dinner.
In addition we have picked our 5th and 6th cucumbers and each one is more delicious then the last. We have 3 more medium cucumbers on the vine that will need to be picked in a few days and several more small ones starting out (see pics).
Both Squash plants got new buckets with about 2.5gallons fresh water+nutrient solution. The three cucumber buckets each got a fill-up of about 1.5gallons each. I am also finally getting some new seeds to sprout. Soon I will be adding a Jalapeño plant, another Bell Pepper plant and some spinach to new buckets. That’s all this week folks. Stay Fresh!
Enjoy the pics!
This week has been interesting, as its been getting hotter here in central florida and the plants have matured more, I’ve been watering them more frequent. Both squash got 1.5 gallons on Monday then another 1gallon on Wednesday (for safe measures). The cucumbers have a lot of algae growth so I added H202 (29% Hydrogen peroxide) purchased from a local hydro-garden store. For Two of the Three of the Cucumber plants, the roots were covered in Algea so I lifted them out (carefully) from the bucket, and sprayed them with the water hose to get most of the algae off. I then cleaned some of the algae off the sides of the buckets with a few paper towels, before adding the recommended 3ml/gallon of hydrogen peroxide.
Each Squash plant has at least 7 small squash, however some had started rotting so I cut them. There are about 4 squash that are medium sized that might be perfect to pick in a few days. The Florida heat is starting to get above 90’s so I can also see the plants getting overheated, but I will keep an eye on that. The Bibb lettuce is on the side of the house in the shade and is doing great, we’ve actually used it several times for taco’s and other dinner time additions.
Updates: We have 9 Squash (I triple counted them), one is about 6-inches, two are about 4 inches and the rest are still about 2-inches. It’s very sweet! In a few more days the squash should be ready to eat. I had five buckets of Bell Peppers, however two of the bell peppers them vanished from the buckets. I assume a bird or something got them, its ashamed, but they were the newest planted and therefore smallest. I now have two buckets ready for something. The cucumbers are getting much larger and I see a few TINY cucumbers. It should be interesting week seeing the cucumbers grow. Lastly, I added 1 gal nutrient solution to each Squash plant as they were super low.
We got into the 40’s at night the last few nights and one squash plant had two leaves turn dark green, likely weather related. I also filled up both squash plants with 1 gallon water each and moved them for more space. In moving them I re-adjusted / moved the cucumber plants so they had more space as well. Added the last two pepper plants that I will be growing this season. Total 5 pepper buckets, 6 total peppers. Pics attached below.